A twenty-five year background in real estate has afforded me the opportunity to see numerous homes with incredible decorating designs. I’ve found that decorating with color and pattern is a challenge for many.
Note Featured Video: One of my faves on how to mix patterns by Emily Henderson
Many people are afraid of color. Although it’s better to stay with a neutral base when selling your home, it’s only right to decorate the way you want while living there.
It takes a bit of bravery to decorate a room with both a patterned area rug and a patterned sofa. In fact, most people won’t venture down that decorating road or they’ll start the process only to find they can’t effectively complete it.
So how do you choose a patterned rug with a patterned sofa?
Below you’ll see some photos of my family room that was completed with warm colors and patterns and yes, the Sofa is patterned as is the Persian Area Rug.
The Thoughts Behind the Above Room Design
1. Although the rug featured has a lot of pattern in it’s design, it also has a great deal of neutral color where the pattern is not constantly overlapping. As an example, if you look at the rug in my photos below, I chose an area rug with this same principle.
2. There is no pattern on the edge of this rug. It’s a solid color. Because the room is small (approximately 16feet by 15feet) I didn’t want to close the room in by creating a ‘framed affect’ with the rug. Thus I stayed away from dark and patterned borders.
3. If you’re placing this rug in a very large space, you can get away with framing the rug. That means using a rug with a darker solid border or a pattern on it’s border. In a larger room, choosing a patterned area rug with pattern that extends to the border enables you to create a clearly defined sitting area.
4. Choose colors from the area rug to feature in your patterned sofa. I had already owned the Persian Rug so I decided to create a warm, deep, cozy feel.
5. I knew I wanted a patterned sofa. So it was imperative to find a sofa with colors from the rug. There were many subtle colors in my patterned area rug; pink green, blue, tan, burgundy, light blue. A warm theme was my goal, so I gravitated towards a warm burgundy colored couch.
6. Once you find the patterned sofa to go with the patterned rug, you should then go easy on the pattern in the room. You’ll notice in my photos that my drapes are a solid color – and they weren’t expensive, they’re simply four panels I purchased from Walmart. Also, the furnishings are a solid color and burgundy/cherry in their shades. The wing back chair and lamps are solid colors.
7. Last but not least are the wall colors and wall art. The wall art above one sofa features a solid frame with one of the sofa shades in the print. For the wall color, I took a sample of the gold colored tassels on the pillow to the paint store and had them match it. It’s more or less a butterscotch tone.
Here Are Additional Examples in Pattern Mixing:
Merax Young Series Sofa Futon Sofa Loveseat Sleeper Modern Contemporary Upholstered Quality Sofa with Two Pillows, Cotton Linen FabricStripe It Square Rug, 6-Feet, Black WhiteBenzara BM137791 Traditional Style and Leatherette Sofa, BrownNoble Medallion Light Blue Persian Floral Oriental Formal Traditional Area Rug 3×5 4×6 ( 3’11Brenna Collection Basic Strapless Slipcover. Form Fit, Slip Resistant, Stylish Furniture Shield / Protector Featuring Lightweight Twill Fabric. By Home Fashion Designs Brand. (Sofa, Charcoal)Gray Grey Black Charcoal Off White Shaggy Shag Area Rug 8’x10′ Verse Modern Contemporary Design High End Designer Quality Flokati High Pile Soft Plush Living Room Bedroom Signature New 72 Black White
About Barbara & FunkthishouseBarbara is a home decor rebel who blames her decades in the real estate industry for her love of color! Since leaving neutral behind, she's built Funkthishouse.com, a place where souls once trapped in neutral-decor-world roam free and funk'n love it!
My nutty passion is finding funky, colorful, and interesting products for the home or office. The products featured are suggested from companies I've established an affiliated relationship with, and in return, earn a small commission when items are sold. Visit FAQs for more about Funkthishouse and the whole funky story :)"
Barbara Cipak is an Independent Associate participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com, Amazon.ca Endless.com, MYHABIT.com, SmallParts.com, Wireless.com- Amazon, the Amazon logo, MYHABIT, and the MYHABIT logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.