So You’re Thinking about Extreme Funk? Well, Let’s Get Right to the Answer
Yes. You can paint your ceiling black. But hang on, there are a few fundamentals you’ll want to be aware of before you jump in with both feet and both hands!
Ask yourself these questions before you get started:
- Do you already have furnishings, bedding and accessories to compliment a black ceiling, or are you going to use your existing stuff that really doesn’t tie into a black ceiling?
- Which additional colors are you considering, if any, for the walls?
- Will the wall color tie into the black ceiling as well as your accessories and furnishings?
- Are you planning on adding accented trim in white or another color to break-up the potential feeling of overwhelming blackness?
- Is there a lot of light in the room?
- Is the purpose to hide a messy ceiling?
- Are you trying to create a lower feeling in the room because the ceilings are very high?
- Do you need a way to visually create higher ceilings?
- Do you have sloped or angled walls?
- Are you working in an open concept area where you would like to create a defined separation of space?
[Click to Tweet] – I’m planning on painting my bedroom ceiling black #wishmeluck
Let’s Quickly Address the Above Questions:
1. Your Furnishings: It’s the overall completed look that will matter. Just painting a ceiling black without considering all the other decor aspects in a room is a recipe for failure. If you’re planning for JUST a black ceiling consider furniture and bedding that matches/contrasts to bring the room together.
For example, decorate the walls with neutral colored flowered or geometric patterned wallpaper or a contrasting solid paint color. Accessorize the furnishings with black accents; bedding, tables, dressers, pillows and so on. If the floors are also dark, lighten the feel of the room with a neutral lighter colored area rug that brightens the space.
LED Aluminum Waterproof Wall Lamp ,12W 85-225V 3200K Adjustable Outdoor Wall Light Warm Light 2 LEDS (Black)2, 3, 4. What Color Will the Walls Be: You can have black walls with a black ceiling, however, if you’re going down that road, it’s better to break up the wall and the ceiling with white crown moulding. If the flooring is dark, neutralize the space with a light colored rug, and lighter colored furniture or accessories.
If you’re planning on light colored walls, then black furnishings or bedding should work fine. Just remember to bring in lighter contrasting tones if you’re overwhelming the walls and ceiling with black.
5. Is there A Lot of Light in the Room: If you have a large window in the room that also has a beautiful view, you can use a black ceiling to draw attention to that view. With lighter colored walls and a black ceiling, the window will almost appear framed for the view.
If you’re adding black to a room that doesn’t have a lot of natural light, add lighting. Some considerations would be Pot Lights, a Chandelier, Table Lamps, Floor Lamps or Track Lights, and String Lights.JP London uStrip Peel and Stick Removable Wall Decal Sticker Mural, Birch Forest Trees Black and White, 10.5 by 8.5-Feet
6. Using Black to Hide a Messy Ceiling: If you’re working in a room that has an untidy looking ceiling, perhaps some pipes, various dips and curves, multiple shades on the ceiling … you get the picture … then painting all aspects of the ceiling with a black matt paint can help to disguise that mess. However, be careful that you’re not painting things that shouldn’t be painted, like pipes, duct work, electrical wires … get a professional opinion if your ceiling has all of that – You’de probably be better with a black drop ceiling installed.
7, 8. Creating a Lowering or Heightened Ceiling with Black: When you have very high ceilings, sometimes the space can seem impersonal, almost more like a warehouse. When that’s the case, a black ceiling can help to visually lower the ceiling and thus, cozy it up a little bit.
However, believe it or not, you can also create the feeling of higher ceilings by painting them black. The way to do this is to create a linear straight up and down affect on the wall and Tree Wall Decals are ideal for this. On white walls, put black tree wall decals from floor to J&M Furniture Palermo White Lacquer With Chrome Accents Queen Size Bedroom Setceiling and those who enter the space will have their eyes drawn upward, creating the illusion of more height.
9. Do You Have a High Sloped Ceiling? High sloped ceilings can look lost in an open space. One solution is to paint that sloped wall black. Again, only do that when you’ve considered the entire decorating scheme for the room.
10. Do You have Multiple Levels of Ceilings in an Open Space? You can use a Black Painted Ceiling on one of those lower ceilings in your open space to create a defined separate area. By painting that ceiling black you’ve drawn a distinction to that area and can decorate around that one spot to distinguish its’ purpose from the rest of the space.
Important Final Point to Keep in Mind:
Semi-Gloss and High-Gloss paint can be VERY unforgiving. It WILL show the flaws in the wall. When you’re not sure what to do, you can certainly ask a professional painter their opinion, or you can simply choose to go with an Egg Shell or Matte Finish. However, from my own personal experience I can tell you that paint with a ‘Flat’ finish is difficult to keep clean, and not a paint finish I personally use on my own walls.
About Barbara & FunkthishouseBarbara is a home decor rebel who blames her decades in the real estate industry for her love of color! Since leaving neutral behind, she's built Funkthishouse.com, a place where souls once trapped in neutral-decor-world roam free and funk'n love it!
My nutty passion is finding funky, colorful, and interesting products for the home or office. The products featured are suggested from companies I've established an affiliated relationship with, and in return, earn a small commission when items are sold. Visit FAQs for more about Funkthishouse and the whole funky story :)"
Barbara Cipak is an Independent Associate participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com, Amazon.ca Endless.com, MYHABIT.com, SmallParts.com, Wireless.com- Amazon, the Amazon logo, MYHABIT, and the MYHABIT logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.