The problem with choosing bedroom décor that will stand the test of time is that no matter how much we’re determined to keep our room as is, we eventually ache for some change.
A bedroom that stands the test of time is a bedroom that doesn’t wear on you as the years go by. Unfortunately, no matter how much you think you can solve this issue with proper planning, there’s going to come a time when you yearn for a change.
So rather than battle against the urges that will inevitably happen, the better way to create a bedroom that stands the test of time is to plan for that inevitability.
Five Points to Consider When Choosing Bedroom Décor that stands the test of Time:
1. Start with the most expensive aspect of the room, the Bedroom Furniture
- Avoid ultra-modern or trendy furniture. Choose solid wood furniture that can be refinished or painted in the years ahead. That way, if you decide to change your furniture, you can have it refinished. Here is a lovely wood bedroom set available from Wayfair.
2. Choosing the Wall Colors
- Since walls can be repainted, select any color that matches your choice for bedding, drapes, and accessories. However, if you intend to avoid repainting as much as possible, then go with the neutral wall color and introduce splashes of color and design via accessories. Neutral colors are black, white, grey, and earth tones.
3. Choosing Bedding Sets
- To anticipate change, choose a Duvet Bedding Set. With a duvet set, you’re able to easily change the look of your room in the future by merely changing the duvet cover. Keep several duvets in the closet, and you can also change them for seasons or holidays.
4. Choosing Flooring that You Will Like for Decades
- Flooring is a big deal, you’ll have it in your space for a lot of years. If you’re able to select your home’s flooring, hardwood is a good idea. If you’re choosing to carpet, choose a neutral color. There’s no doubt at some point in the future, you’ll get tired of your flooring; however, if your floors are stone or hardwood, you’ll be able to make a change by adding or removing area rugs. If you have wall to wall rug in your space and wonder whether you can put an area rug over the carpet, wonder no more.
5. Choosing Bedroom Side Chairs
- In terms of style, choose something fairly traditional, as traditional shapes and colors will make it through decades. Skip ultra-modern funky chairs! Again, in the future, if you do decide you’d like a change, you can either choose bedding and drapes that match your existing chair, or use a slipcover to change it up.
FAQs for more about Funkthishouse and the whole funky story.
The products featured are suggested from companies I've established an affiliated relationship with including ShopStyle, Etsy/Awin, Amazon, Shareasale/Awin, eBay, Viglink, and in return, earn a commission for qualified purchases.
***Barbara Cipak is an Independent Associate participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com Amazon UK, Endless.com, MYHABIT.com, SmallParts.com, Wireless.com- Amazon, the Amazon logo, MYHABIT, and the MYHABIT logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.***