The problem with choosing bedroom décor that will stand the test of time is that no matter how much we’re determined to keep our room as is, we eventually ache for some sort of a change.
A bedroom that stands the test of time is a bedroom that doesn’t wear on you as the years go by. Unfortunately, no matter how much you think you can solve this issue with proper planning, there’s going to come a time when you yearn for a change.
So rather than battle against the urges that will inevitably happen, the better way to create a bedroom that stands the test of time is to plan for that inevitability.
Five Points to Consider When Choosing Bedroom Décor that stands the test of Time:
1. Start with the most expensive aspect of the room, the Bedroom Furniture
- Avoid ultra-modern or trendy furniture. Choose solid wood furniture that can be refinished or painted in the years ahead. That way, if you decide to change your furniture, you can have it refinished.
2. Choosing the Wall Colors
- Since walls can be repainted, select any color that matches your choice for bedding, drapes, and accessories. However, if you intend to avoid repainting as much as possible, then go with the neutral wall color and introduce splashes of color and design via accessories. Neutral colors are black, white, grey, and earth tones.
3. Choosing Bedding Sets
- To anticipate change, choose a Duvet Bedding Set. With a duvet set, you’re able to easily change the look of your room in the future by merely changing the duvet cover. Keep several duvets in the closet, and you can also change them for seasons or holidays.
4. Choosing Flooring that You Will Like for Decades
- Flooring is a big deal, you’ll have it in your space for a lot of years. If you’re able to select the flooring of your home, hardwood is a good idea. If you’re choosing carpeting, choose a neutral color. There’s no doubt at some point in the future you’ll get tired of your flooring, however, if your floors are stone or hardwood, you’ll be able to make a change by adding or removing area rugs. If you have wall to wall rug in your space and are wondering whether you can put an area rug over rug, wonder no more.
5. Choosing Bedroom Side Chairs
- In terms of style, choose something fairly traditional, as traditional shapes and colors will make it through decades. Skip ultra modern funky chairs! Again, in the future, if you do decide you’d like a change, you can either choose bedding and drapes that match your existing chair, or use a slipcover to change it up.
About Barbara & FunkthishouseBarbara is a home decor rebel who blames her decades in the real estate industry for her love of color! Since leaving neutral behind, she's built Funkthishouse.com, a place where souls once trapped in neutral-decor-world roam free and funk'n love it!
My nutty passion is finding funky, colorful, and interesting products for the home or office. The products featured are suggested from companies I've established an affiliated relationship with, and in return, earn a small commission when items are sold. Visit FAQs for more about Funkthishouse and the whole funky story :)"
Barbara Cipak is an Independent Associate participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com, Amazon.ca Endless.com, MYHABIT.com, SmallParts.com, Wireless.com- Amazon, the Amazon logo, MYHABIT, and the MYHABIT logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.