Choosing an area rug for a dark room depends on what parts of the room are dark, and why it is dark. Are the walls and furnishings dark, or is the lighting quite dim?
Product Page Here - or View Products Below
1. Dark Walls, Drapes & Furnishings
When your main decor is darker, you’ll want to brighten the room up with lighter colored accessories such as pillows, blankets, lamps, and rugs. A large neutral-colored area rug in a room with dark walls will soften the room’s overall feeling and brighten the space. If the walls are lighter colored, but the furniture is dark, you can opt for a light-colored area rug. In fact, that’s the better way to go.
If you’re adamant you don’t want a lighter colored area rug, it’s wise to choose light, bright furniture. Something in your space needs to be lighter, especially if the walls are dark.
2. Dim Lighting – An Area Rug for a Low Light Room
If your room is literally dark, then you’ll need to brighten the space with lamps, furniture, and accessories. Of course, a dark room needs a lighter shade of carpeting. However, you can also consider a glow-in-the-dark rug for a child’s rug. A few are featured below, as well as on this webpage.
Also Consider the Following:
- Would a patterned but neutral rug work best for your space? Determine this by the amount of pattern that’s already in the space. If you have little-to-no patterns, consider a light patterned area rug.
- If your furnishings and drapes are patterned, go with a solid, plain area rug.
- Determine the size of the area rug you need. The mistake most people make is choosing an area rug that’s too small. If the area is designed to be a focal point around your sitting area, be sure the rug is large enough so that the first part of the furniture (legs) goes a little bit underneath. When the rug sits in the middle and doesn’t reach under the furniture, the room will look choppy and smaller.
Check Out these Area Rugs for a Dark Room – Notice the Glow-In-The-Dark Rugs for a Child’s Room
About Barbara & Funkthishouse***This site contains Affiliate Links, which means that Barbara Cipak may earn commission via links you make purchases through***
FAQs for more about Funkthishouse and the whole funky story.
The products featured are suggested from companies I've established an affiliated relationship with including ShopStyle, Etsy/Awin, Amazon, Shareasale/Awin, eBay, Viglink, and in return, earn a commission when items are sold.
***Barbara Cipak is an Independent Associate participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com Amazon UK, Endless.com, MYHABIT.com, SmallParts.com, Wireless.com- Amazon, the Amazon logo, MYHABIT, and the MYHABIT logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.***