*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualified commissions*
Choosing an area rug for a dark room depends on what parts are dark and why it is dark. Are the walls and furnishings dark, or is the lighting quite dim?
Product Page Here – or View Products Below
1. Dark Walls, Drapes & Furnishings
When your main decor is darker, you’ll want to brighten the room with lighter-colored accessories such as pillows, blankets, lamps, and rugs. A large neutral-colored area rug in a room with dark walls will soften the room’s overall feeling and brighten the space. If the walls are lighter colored, but the furniture is dark, you can opt for a light-colored area rug. That’s the better way to go.
If you’re adamant you don’t want a lighter-colored area rug, it’s wise to choose light, bright furniture. Something in your space needs to be lighter, especially if the walls are dark.
2. Dim Lighting – An Area Rug for a Low Light Room
If your room is dark, you’ll need to brighten the space with lamps, furniture, and accessories. Of course, a dark room needs a lighter shade of carpeting. However, you can also consider a glow-in-the-dark rug for a child’s rug. A few are featured below, as well as on this webpage.
Also, Consider the Following:
- Would a patterned but neutral rug work best for your space? Determine this by the amount of pattern that’s already in the space. If you have little-to-no patterns, consider a light patterned area rug.
- If your furnishings and drapes are patterned, go with a solid, plain area rug.
- Determine the size of the area rug you need. The mistake most people make is choosing an area rug that’s too small. If the area is designed to be a focal point around your sitting area, be sure the rug is large enough so that the first part of the furniture (legs) goes a little bit underneath. The room will look choppy and smaller when the rug sits in the middle and doesn’t reach under the furniture.
Check Out these Area Rugs for a Dark Room – Notice the Glow-In-The-Dark Rugs for a Child’s Room
FAQs for more about Funkthishouse and the whole funky story.
The products featured are suggested from companies I've established an affiliated relationship with including ShopStyle, Etsy/Awin, Amazon, Shareasale/Awin, eBay, Viglink, and in return, earn a commission for qualified purchases.
***Barbara Cipak is an Independent Associate participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com Amazon UK, Endless.com, MYHABIT.com, SmallParts.com, Wireless.com- Amazon, the Amazon logo, MYHABIT, and the MYHABIT logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.***